|Eurail Select Pass: $430-$1,011||Eurail Global Pass Flexi: $867-$1,138||Eurail Global Pass: $734-$2,031|
Eurail Passes can be purchased in advance in the U.S. for train travel across Europe, and are typically not for sale once the traveler is in Europe (nor are they available to European and U.K. residents). The Eurail Pass can save travelers money if they plan to buy many point-to-point tickets between 22 eligible countries .
Related articles: Canadian Rail Travel, U.S. Train Travel, Passport, Travel Insurance
- A Eurail Global Pass (also called Consecutive or Continuous pass) is good for unlimited first-class train travel for consecutive periods ranging from 15 days to three months. An adult pass typically costs between $734 (15 days) and $2,031 (three months). For example, a 21-day adult pass is available for $947.
- A Eurail Global Pass Flexi offers any 10 days or any 15 days of first-class train travel within a 2-month period. A 10-day adult pass (age 26 and older) costs about $867, for example, and is good for two months. A 15-day adult pass costs $1,138 and lasts for two months.
- Eurail Select Passes typically range from $430 to $1,011 and can be a good deal for travelers stopping at three-five bordering countries over a defined period of time. For example, a three-country Select Pass good for 11 days of travel over a 2-month period costs $694.
- A European Country Rail Pass can be purchased for travelers only planning to visit one or two countries. For example, the first-class adult France-Spain Pass good for four days of travel in a two-month period costs $378. The first-class adult Greece-Italy Pass good for 10 days of travel in a two-month period costs $577.
- One Country Rail Passes are also available for travelers who will travel within one nation's borders. The Austria Pass good for 3 travel days in one month costs $228, for example.
What should be included:|
- A Eurail Pass allows the traveler to book a specified number of train trips within an allotted timeframe. Travel must be reserved in advance, as the pass does not guarantee a seat on a specific train.
- Free shipping of the rail pass should be included. Allow one week for delivery.
- Rail passes can be purchased six months to one week in advance. Travelers must validate the rail pass in Europe within six months of buying it.
- Railpass protection is available for $16-$23, to protect the purchaser in case of cancellation due to illness, or loss or theft of the pass.
- Travelers with second-class passes may pay an extra 50% or so to upgrade to first class.
Shopping for a eurail pass:
- Senior discounts are available on select passes to first-class passengers 60 and older.
- Save 33 to 50%on Eurail passes by traveling second class instead of first.
- Youth passes can be purchased for 35% off the adult price (for ages 12 to 25), though youth must travel in second class. For example, a 3-month youth pass costs $1,321, versus the regular adult fare of $2031. A Children's Pass gives kids 4 to 11 a 50% discount off the regular adult fare, and children 3 and under travel free.
- Saver Passes offer a 15% discount for two to five passengers traveling the same itinerary. For example, two adults traveling their entire 3-month trip together can purchase tickets for $1,727, versus the normal price of $2,031.
- Saver and Youth discounts can be applied to any type of Eurail pass (Global, Global Flexi, Select, European Country or One Country Pass).
- For a month-long trip, consider booking a 21-day Eurail pass and stay in the starting and ending cities for a few days each. Travelers can save about $200 this way. Likewise, travelers may wish to use a rail pass for longer trips and pay out-of-pocket for shorter, inexpensive trips.
- Rick Steves' Europe provides a helpful glossary of rail pass terms, including tips on what to do if passes get lost or stolen.
- Not every traveler will save money by purchasing a Eurail Pass. Check the prices of individual tickets at Rail Europe to determine if a pass is cheaper than point-to-point tickets.
- Independent Traveler lists helpful European Train Tips that range from understanding passes to planning your route.
- Explore the interactive rail map at Rail Europe or a printable map at Eurail .
Forgotten Expenses In a Home Addition Budget
Items like construction costs, permit fees or debris removal aren't the only expenses to consider when calculating the total costs of a home remodeling project. || Posted August 5 2013
8 Ways to Stretch Your Reduced Food Budget
End of the year budgets are tight for everyone, especially in this economy.It's especially hard for the millions of Americans who depend on government programs like food stamps to help make ends meet. || Posted November 11 2013
What People Are Paying - Recent Comments
More Travel Topics
Search Thousands of Topics on CostHelper.com