|Individual Event Tickets: $40-$1,828 each||Ticket & Hotel Packages: $3,436-$27,327||Airfare from US: $800-$10,360+|
The 2014 Winter Olympic games are set for Feb. 7-23 in Sochi, Russia.
What should be included:
- Official prices for tickets to individual events vary from about $40-$800 each, depending on popularity, seat location and whether it is a preliminary, qualifying or final round. For example, preliminary-round tickets are $41 each for curling or four-man bobsleigh ; $62-$182 for men's ski jumping ; and$372 for the figure skating pairs short program . Admission to the qualifying rounds for short track speed skating are $248 each. Final round tickets are $124-$248 each for the men's large hill ski jumping and $331-$579 each for the figure skating gala exhibition .
- Prime seats for the opening ceremony cost $1,828 each, while closing ceremony tickets are $497-$793.
- Official hotel-room-only packages are available for 3 to 5 nights, at a typical cost of $396-$496 per night.
- Packages with pre-selected event tickets, lodging, daily breakfast and the use of public transportation are available for $3,436-$17,464 for single occupancy or $4,902-$27,327 double occupancy, depending on the number of days and nights, and the sports and events included. For example, a six-day, five-night alpine skiing package costs $4,219 with single occupancy and $5,430 double, while a seven-day, six-night figure skating package that includes tickets to the gala exhibition and the closing ceremony costs $14,615 for a single and $22,432 for two. With a limited number of event tickets available, many travel experts suggest that ticket packages can be the best way to get admission to the more popular events.
- Lodging packages without any event tickets included are available from Sports Traveler for $3,795-$4,795 for six nights or Ludus Tours for $2,690-$6,250 for 4-7 nights in budget to deluxe accommodations.
- Flying to Sochi, Russia from the USA typically requires at least one and often two or three stops or connecting flights, and the trip can cost $800-$10,360 or more, depending on the airline(s) and the dates flown. For example, Trip Advisor , Travelocity and Expedia estimate tickets prices for a one-week journey to Sochi during the Winter Olympics at $801-$6,311 from JFK Airport in New York; $1,360-$11,336 from Dallas-Fort Worth; and $1,642-$9,069 from Oakland, CA.
- The Sochi Olympic events locations are divided into two categories, one along the coast for curling, speed skating, figure skating, hockey and the Olympic stadium for the open and closing ceremonies; and another in the mountains, for alpine skiing, snowboarding, aerials, bobsleigh, luge, ski jumping, cross-country skiing and biathlon (combing cross-country skiing with rifle shooting). A high-speed railway is being built to both these areas and the Sochi International Airport, but fares have not yet been announced.
- Buses and trains will be available for ground transportation, but fares during the Olympics have not yet been announced.
- Sochi is a one-hour flight from Istanbul, Turkey and two hours from Moscow; some travelers may choose to add short side trips to sites such as Istanbul, St. Petersburg or Moscow before or after attending the Winter Olympics. Costs for this additional travel will vary significantly depending on the number of days and nights included, the level of accommodations and the sites visited.
Shopping for attending the 2014 winter olympics:
- AirBnB.com lists private rentals for $27 (for a mattress on the floor) to $3,500 (for a city-view penthouse apartment) per night . Be sure to clearly understand the accommodations being offered and follow all safety precautions recommended by AirBnB.com.
- Tickets are issued by the US National Olympic Committee through Cosport.com , which also offers packages with tickets, lodging and access to hospitality centers/benefits.
- Traveling to Russia requires a valid US passport and a Russian tourist visa; the US Embassy in Moscow provides an overview of what is needed .
- Hotel and transportation packages without event tickets are available from tour operators such as City Travel (which has a more cultural emphasis), Ludus Tours and Sports Traveler . When buying a package tour, be clear whether it includes help in obtaining the required Russian visa and/or ground transportation while in Sochi.
- Traveling to Russia requires a tourist visa; if buying a package tour, check whether the agency assists with obtaining the visa.
- Find Winter Olympics events and schedules at Sochi2014.com (but note that US residents cannot buy tickets through this site).
7 Tricks To Make Home Appliances Last Longer
Give your household equipment a little workout now and then, to make sure anything mechanical will perform well when needed. Periodic exercise can extend the usable life of many items. || Posted October 14 2013
5 Important Things to Know Before a Tornado Hits
This week the Midwest has been battered by tornados, which are one of the most violent and destructive type of storms nature has in its arsenal. || Posted November 19 2013
What People Are Paying - Recent Comments
More Travel Topics
Search Thousands of Topics on CostHelper.com
|Today's Featured Cost Articles|